Thursday, March 31, 2011

Play Ball

It's been almost six months since I last published something on my Met's Blog and with the season opener just hours away, it is time to get back to the blog.

This year I've decided that I'm not going to make any predictions and just react to what happens as this long season unfolds.

My Father told me something recently that his older brother would say when asked, "Who do you think is going to win?" My Uncle would say, "That's why they play the game."
And since no matter how teams look on paper, the game isn't played on paper but between the lines and so with a one hundred and sixty two game season, anything can and usually does happen.

I'm excited to some degree more than I have been in the last two years at the start of the season. I'm very pleased that Sandy Alderson is the general manager and I like the staff he's assembled. I believe that given a few years to make his mark, the Mets will be improved during that time. He has said he's going to target the minor league system so the team can continue to develop players. And even though he wasn't the fan favourite going into the managerial sweepstakes, Terry Collins seems like the right guy to start that rebuilding process. He knows many of the younger players because of his job last year when he oversaw the Met's farm system and he brings enough enthusiasm and a strong work ethic to motivate the players and get the most out of them.

So with start of the season in Miami versus The Marlins, I'm excited and hopeful for this team and what they may be able to accomplish. They are hard working and positive and a lot of hard work can pay off in big ways come playoff time.

So lets go Mets!!!!

No comments: